Saturday, September 3, 2011

Welcome to MAINE!


That's right!  I'm in Maine!  My final state.  The home stretch.  The toughest terrain I've seen yet.  There shall be no coasting to the finish line...

MAINE!  It's rugged.  It's tough.  It's... so different.

Where to begin??  When I crossed into Maine it was almost surreal.  Since starting in Georgia on April 3rd, I've been telling everyone that has asked that I'm going to Maine.  And now I'm here.  With only 233 miles left, I'm chomping at the bit.  Truth be told, I'm ready to be done.  Ready to start some new things in life and move on with some others...  But I'm getting ahead of myself... Must finish the trail first!!  Finish what you start.
After waiting out hurricane Irene with four 'zero days', I hit the trail feeling refreshed yet still tired.  Is this possible?!  Anyway, the damage from the storm was present on the trail.  The shear power of water is just amazing.  The trail was heavily eroded, since the trail acts as a stream in heavy rain, some rock steps washed out and blow-downs were everywhere! I'm glad I wasn't in the woods during the storm!

The first day out of Gorham, NH, where I had left off, was fairly easy and I managed a 17 mile day.  But when I crossed into Maine the next day, Maine would flex it's rugged and tough muscles.  The Mahoosucs made me long for the Whites of New Hampshire.  I don't know what it was about the Mahoosucs... but that section had some of the most steep, slick, and energy-draining terrain I've seen in 1,900 miles.  Energy-draining = ravenous appetite.  Traversing roots, rocks, rock slabs, boulders the size of small homes and SUVs, mud holes, high streams, etc. ... it takes it out of ya!  In fact, I literally had 1/4 of a Nutella jar and one pasta side dinner left in my food bag when I arrived in Andover.  That's the lowest my food bag has been on this entire hike!!

So, I've established that Maine is difficult.  However, I don't really mind... The first of the leaves are starting to turn and a few early leaves have made it to the ground in red, orange, and yellow colors.  The lakes and ponds are simply amazing.  The shear rugged terrain and the very rural towns are something new as well.  While in Andover, locals rode ATVs and tractors down the street in the stoplight absent town.

I'm looking to finish between Sept. 20-25th.  Obviously, it's still hard to tell exactly my finish date until I arrive in Monson.  Like I mentioned above, I'm excited to finish but am sad that my hike is starting to dwindle to a close.  So many friends and memories have been made. It's hard to imagine that this [ridiculous] lifestyle will be over before I know it!  I mean, really, hiking for 6 months?!  Geez...
MAINE -- It's "the way life should be"

2 comments:

  1. Yes, geez...what were you thinking!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soulslosher,

    I started at Springer in February so we never met. I've been finished for about six weeks now and have started perusing hiker blogs because I wish I was still out on the trail. Enjoy the physical and emotional roller coaster that is the last few weeks! And thanks for giving me the opportunity to relive it vicariously through you!

    Sensei
    NOBO '11

    ReplyDelete