Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Intro into The Whites

The Whites have some of the most stunning views on the entire 2,181 mile-long Appalachian Trail.  You're above tree line in an alpine environment!  It's certainly a very unique place.  However, the beauty of The Whites can only be admired if the weather is clear.  This was not the case when I decided to hike the first mountain in The Whites (Mt. Moosilauke).

The day started out fine.  It was overcast and sprinkling rain when I left the shelter at the base of the mountain.  After about an hour of ascending, the rain started to pick up.   I decided I was committed and didn't turn back.   About two hours later, I find myself above tree line, nearing the summit, with fog / clouds blowing past like speeding cars, and the wind driving the rain so hard, it felt like sleet pellets hitting my skin.   After trying to take some pictures by the weather-beaten sign that read: "Mt. Moosilauke, 4,802 ft." I sprinted to the other side of the summit to get down to tree line, where I could be semi-protected from the weather.

A few minutes later, I cross paths with some section hikers that are slack-packing going SOBO.   I tell them to be very careful on the exposed summit and they tell me to be careful descending into Kinsman notch.  Touche.  I had heard from several people that the descent on Moosilauke is one of the most dangerous and difficult in the entire Whites (more so when wet!!), but nothing I heard or read could prepare myself for what I was about to go through trying to come down.

After taking a break at the shelter located just before the near vertical descent, I start picking my way down the mountain.   Little did I know that descending the remaining 1.5 miles to the road would take me almost 2 hours.  1.5 miles in 2 hours.  The rocks were slick, the wooden steps, and steel rebar installed on the rock slabs were slick, as well.   About halfway down, the trail came parallel with a rushing waterfall literally inches away.   I'm sure it was pretty but didn't dare take my eyes off the trail to observe.  I was too focused on getting down safely, as the trail itself was a waterfall.
The sign on the trail AFTER I descended Moosilauke...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Descending Moosilauke in bad weather? Definitely not fun! It took me 1.5 hours on a sunny dry morning! Glad you made it down ok - amazing!
    Cheers to you and the class of 2011!
    Zipper

    ReplyDelete